Applying to the Program

How To Apply to the Materials Science and Engineering Department Graduate Program:


Application Deadlines:
Fall Term (September):
Ph.D. December 15 — M.S. January 15
Winter Term (January):
October 15


Application FAQ


Admission Decision Timeline:

January - February: PhD admission/financial aid offers are sent via e-mail to applicants.
Early March: MS admission offers are sent via e-mail to applicants.
Late March: Notification to applicants who do not receive admission are sent.
All applicants are notified via e-mail as soon an admission decision is reached.


Application Materials:

  • Three Letters of Recommendation - It is strongly recommended that you determine your three recommenders before starting your application as they cannot be modified on the form once entered.

  • Academic Statement of Purpose - The Statement of Purpose should be a concise, well-written statement about your academic and research background, your career goals, and how Michigan's graduate program will help you meet your career and educational objectives.

  • Personal Statement - The Personal Statement should contain your background and life experiences, including cultural, geographical, financial, educational or other opportunities or challenges, motivated your decision to pursue a graduate degree at the University of Michigan.

  • MSE Research Area Interest Ranking Form (PhD only) - MS applicants can indicate their interest in the academic/personal statement.

  • Transcripts: Submit a transcript for each Bachelor’s, Master’s, Professional or Doctoral degree earned or in progress.
    For instructions on submitting transcripts, please see the Rackham Graduate school website. Submitting your transcripts is a two-step process:
    1. Submitting transcripts with the Online Application:
      Applicants upload a copy of their official transcript/academic record to the online application.
    2. Sending official transcripts to the Rackham Graduate School:
      Applicants are required to submit an official set of transcript/academic records as an e-transcript or by mail to the Rackham Graduate School before the graduate program application deadline. Use the Academic Records/Transcripts Submission Form to submit your official transcript so that it is quickly matched with your application.


Ready to Apply?

Apply through Rackham Graduate School 


Have more questions?


Request Official Scores to be reported to the University of Michigan from ETS:

*Scores can be submitted after the application is submitted.  Your scores will be matched with your application after they are received by the university.

  • GRE Scores (Institution Code: 1839, Department Code 1402)
  • TOEFL Scores if applicable. (Institution Code: 1839, Department Code: 69) Applicants whose native language is not English must demonstrate English proficiency. Applicants are required to provide an official score report from either the Michigan English Language Battery (MELAB), the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the International English Language Testing Systems (IELTS), or the Examination for the Certificate of Proficiency in English (ECPE). Photocopies and/or faxes of English proficiency scores will not be accepted.
    • Minimum score requirements for the MELAB, TOEFL, IELTS, and ECPE test can be found in the section:   Applicants Whose Native Language is Not English
    • Applicants who have earned a degree from an institution where the language of instruction is exclusively English, (e.g.:. U.S., United Kingdom, Australia) are exempt from submitting a MELAB, TOEFL, IELTS, or ECPE score.
    • Rackham English Proficiency Exemptions

      You qualify for an exemption from taking an English proficiency examination if one of the following criteria are met:

      • You are a native speaker of English.
      • You completed all of your undergraduate education and earned an undergraduate degree at an institution where the language of instruction is English only.
      • You completed all of your graduate education and earned a graduate degree at an institution where the language of instruction is English only.
        • If you completed a Master’s degree that was strictly research and no academic classes, that degree does not meet the exemption. This type of Master’s degree is generally awarded at a non-U.S. institution.
      • You are a current U-M student.

      Examples of meeting the English Proficiency Exemption criteria:

      1. You completed the last three years of your undergraduate degree at the University of Michigan, and in addition, earned a Master’s degree that was one and one-half years in duration at the University of London.
      2. You completed the last two years of your undergraduate degree at the University of Melbourne, and in addition, earned a Master’s degree from the University of Michigan.

      Example of not meeting the English Proficiency Exemption criteria:

      • You completed two years of an undergraduate degree program at an overseas institution (Fudan University) where the medium of instruction is a language other than English. You then transferred to an institution (Monash University) where all classes are taught exclusively in English and earned a degree from that institution.


MSE Departmental Financial Aid Information

 MSE PhD students are offered continuous support for the duration of their studies, through fellowships, research assistantships, teaching assistantships, or some combination of these.  All types of support provide similar funding with a monthly stipend, plus tuition, fees, and health benefits.  In addition to Department financial aid, applicants are also considered for various Rackham and College of Engineering fellowships, and are encouraged to apply for nationally competitive fellowships available from NSF, NASA, DoD, and other sources.  All support is contingent upon satisfactory progress toward the Ph.D. degree, and the availability of funds.


Contact Information:

University of Michigan

Materials Science and Engineering Department

Graduate Program Office, 3062 HH Dow

2300 Hayward Street

Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2136

Phone: 734.763.9790

Fax: 734.763.4788


Horace H. Rackham School of Graduate Studies

Office of Graduate Admissions

0120 Rackham Building

915 E. Washington St.

Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-1070

Tel: 734.764.8129

Fax: 734.647.7740



 Ann Arbor at night